These caramels use dates to sweeten them, which is a nice change from regular liquid sweetener. We always try to eat whole foods whenever possible, and dates fit the bill. I love having these with some warm peppermint tea, but you could eat them for breakfast with your coffee if you wanted.
Salted Tahini Caramels
30 minutes | serves 6
1 c pitted dates
1/2 c organic tahini
2 Tb coconut oil
1 ts vanilla
1/2 ts cinnamon
1/2 ts himalayan sea salt
- Soak the dates in warm water until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the water, and process the dates in a food processor until small pieces form.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, except salt, and process until smooth, about 3-5 mins. My mixture eventually formed a paste and released a liquid that tasted a lot like dulce de leche--if yours does this, just smooth it out when you create the caramels.
- Smooth the mixture into a bread pan and put in freezer, sprinkling salt on top.
- Wait until hard enough to cut into pieces and enjoy!